As a company that has built its culture around safe practices and procedures, one of Southland’s key concerns is the health and well-being of our employees, as well as those affected by our work. For over 65 years, we have continuously improved our approach to safety, which has earned us the reputation of being one of the safest contractors in the business.
Our safety practices not only positively impact our business in terms of improved productivity, but also provide a safe work environment for everyone involved. By ensuring our workers' on-the-job safety, we reduce labor rates, prevent schedule interruptions and deliver a quality product to our customers.
Believing that every injury is preventable, we invest substantially in staffing, equipment, and training. Southland’s highly qualified safety professionals are committed to eliminating hazards and training our personnel to work safely. Our corporate safety program includes:
- A Prevention Through Design program that spearheads safety from the onset of design
- A comprehensive written Code of Safe Practices and Safety and Health Rules
- A detailed Injury Prevention Program
- Maintaining a team of dedicated safety professionals
- Active participation in every aspect of the safety program by all employees, from management down to brand new internship recruits
- A Safety Incentive Program
- A Return to Work Program to eliminate time lost to accidents
- Quarterly foremen's safety training meetings and social events to facilitate communication between field employees and the safety department, and to recognize safety performance
- A program for reporting, investigating and tracking any injuries that do occur
- 24-hour availability of the safety director and field safety representative
- Weekly "toolbox" safety training for all field personnel